The Director of Fundación's Center for Bioinformatics and Genome Biology, Dr. David Holmes, gave the opening address at the Bioinformatics and System Biology international conference of the joint RIB-EMBnet, held in Cancun, Mexico, October 26th - 29th, 2009. The title of his talk was: “The exigencies of life at pH 1: evolution on earth and extra-terrestrial life signatures”.
Dr. Holmes opening address at International EMBnet-RIBio Conference 2009
Also, at the conference the following students of Fundación presented posters:
- Jorge Valdés: “Assessing regulon diversity in the Acidithiobacillus genus by comparative genomics”.
- Amir Shmaryahu: “High throughput prediction of small regulatory RNAs (srRNAs) in extremophilic bacteria”.
- Francisco Ossandón: “High throughput, multigenome analysis using the AlterORF bioinformatics pipeline reveals both rampant misannotation and novel gene discovery”.
- Roddy Jorquera: “Intronless Gene Database”.
- Francisco Duarte: “Multigenome analysis of proteins from extremely acidic environments”.
During the conference the Iberoamerican Society for Bioinformatics (SoIBio) was formally created. Dr. Holmes was elected both to its Board of Directors and to be the Chilean representative to the Society, while Jorge Valdés was elected student representative to the Society. The next SoIBio meeting will be held in Chile, 2010.
Jorge Valdes at the Poster session